From small 5-year-old child to 60-year-old granny all love this little juicy fruit. It is also highly recommended by the doctor to eat an apple daily to stay fit. On average India, itself consume 2172000 million tons of apple each year, and the rate of the consumption is constantly increasing per year.
Apples are not poisonous to eat, but the thing that is toxic in apple is it shiny looking tiny seeds. Apple seeds contain amygdalin, a potentially toxigenic compound. It is naturally occurring plant toxins.They are present in more than 2500 species.
Cyanogenic glycosides are stored in vacuoles within plant cells. When we crush apple seed in our mouth it comes in contact with endogenous enzymes, resulting in the release of hydrogen cyanide. It causes subacute cyanide poisoning with symptoms including anxiety, headache, dizziness, and confusion.High consumption of the cyanogenic glycosides can cause hypotension, paralysis, coma and even death.
If we don’t crush apple seed it can easily pass through our body undamaged. But don’t worry, even if you accidentally crush some seeds, it will not show any major effect on the body, it requires nearly 1000 seeds for a harmful effect on the body. But this little dose may show some mild symptoms such as a headache and anxiety.
So avoid eating apple seeds as much as you can and always take care of removing apple seeds before making apple juice in a blender.
To know more about science read this amazing book….